Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh, the frustration (and other information)

Oh, the frustration!

Tonight is the perfect night (ok, not really) to tell you basically what I do in a night… and to vent some of my frustrations concerning what I do in a night.

Currently I work from 1900 to 0500, which I'm pretty sure is the busiest shift for casework. Essentially what I do is sit at a desk with three computer and two phones … and pray that I don't have to use all five at one time. Our NIPR computer holds our roster – the listing of all the units that are in deployed locations (in theatre, such as Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait). Our SIPR computer sits and collects dust; we rarely use that one. The other computer, an MWR computer, is where our Dovetail system is. Dovetail is our new computer system for doing casework. Dovetail has its positives and negatives. It seems to work much better in CONUS, but then, what computer system doesn't? We can also use Dovetail on our NIPR computer, but I don't think any of us actually choose to do so. Phone number one is our DSN phone, also known as a NIPR phone (or sometimes a VOIP phone). Phone number two is our S-VOIP, also known as a SIPR or VOIP phone.

Now, I can tell you all this and if you've deployed before there's a good chance you'll understand what I'm saying. If you haven't, however, you'll probably be scratching your head right now. Let's backtrack a little. In order to deploy with the ARC, you have to have at least an interim Secret Security Clearance pending a completed clearance. Without that, you can't go. SIPR is the reason for this. SIPR is the secured internet network. NIPR is the unclassified, but still sensitive military network. All of our phone connections are via these networks, as well. The MWR computer is not on any kind of military network that blocks websites (hence why I am able to blog), but all actions can still be monitored, and Dovetail is on a secured website.

So, in a nutshell I sit all night. I look at one computer and review a case concerning a death, illness, birth, child care issue, leave extension, disaster, financial assistance, or some other verifiable emergency. I then look at the roster to find where to call based on the servicemember's address given in the message by the family (or on rare occasion, by the servicemember directly). I then put that information into the case and call the number on the roster using either the DSN or the S-VOIP phone (depending on the capabilities of the unit I'm calling). Then I do it all over again.

Now the frustrating part… Tonight was thus far our busiest night. We have been having issues with the S-VOIP phone for a few days now that are expected to last a couple more weeks. Sometimes the phones work; sometimes they don't. Sometimes calls drop in the middle of passing a message and sometimes you're able to get through a whole message without dropping the call. Dovetail decided to be finicky at times, and our DSN phones went down from… well, it started at 2300 and they're still down over 5 hours later. Being unable to call messages to units makes it extraordinarily difficult to do my job since that IS my job, hence the frustration of tonight. Oftentimes units have both an S-VOIP phone and a DSN phone, but a few units have only one or the other. And then, Stevie Ray and I laugh. What else is there to do?

____________________
Per the request of my mother to explain a little more about the birthday parties and bread-baking…

Every other Saturday there is a birthday celebration. Anyone is welcome to come, no matter when your birthday actually comes around. We have decorations, hot dogs, snacks, a birthday cake, a game or two, singing and blowing out candles, and general fun birthday mayhem for everyone involved. For those people whose birthdays legitimately fall in that month, there is a free mug or water bottle, a free gift bag, and a phone card/AAFES (PX) gift card drawing for someone… depending on the resources that the ARC has at the time. All in all it lasts about an hour or so.

Wednesdays and Fridays are bread nights. We here at Red Cross CANNOT forget bread night. We will be reminded. Profusely. There is a bread machine in our canteen. Mary starts it at 1700 – puts the water, mix, and yeast in the machine, pushes the button, and three hours later I take out a hot loaf of freshly baked bread (Hawaiian sweet bread seems to be a favorite), cut it, and serve. It usually lasts all of 15 minutes before it has been gobbled. The scent wafts through our building and is, in general, a great way to attract people from all over. We are in the process of securing an additional bread machine and mixes to possibly do additional bread times (caveat: I am not asking anyone to donate anything! If you would like to send something, post a comment or email me and I will pass your request on to the right people).

Any more questions, just let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Buttercup!

What kind of bread machine mixes do you use? What kind of machine do you have? It mixes and bakes it all in one machine? (shows how much I know about bread-making, huh?) : )

Love you...more!
Mum

HMR said...

We need blog 101 but we also need your e-mail address so we can write and seng pictures.
G-pa & G-ma R

Anonymous said...

Great work.