Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ok, finally some information!

Oh my goodness! What a trip! Let's see; where do I start? Well, as previously posted, I've finally made it to Tikrit – almost a week after leaving Fort Benning.

Benning: We left and flew to IRELAND!! Exciting! 55 degrees. Not exciting. And we're going to Iraq… approximately hot # of degrees? That's right. Maybe they could have thought that one out a little better, haha. Anyways, Ireland was BEAUTIFUL! I'll definitely be going back sometime when I can see more than an airport and what little countryside one can see out an airplane window.

Kuwait: Our team was space blocked (reserved, kind of) for the day BEFORE we actually got there, so we "missed" our flight. We scheduled another flight… and another… and slowly watched as the rest of our teams left Kuwait. Yep, we were the last team in Kuwait. Finally, we were about to leave! We got on the plane. The plan (which I did not come up with) was to make one stop before heading to Tikrit. Now, I'm BIG on timing these things so I can help out the next teams going through. Three hours and 36 minutes later… we were back in Kuwait. There were sandstorms so we couldn't land. Bummer! We ended up flying out that same night (or morning, I guess), so there were about two days of no (or very little) sleep trying to get the Bagram team out and finishing up Kuwait business and getting to Tikrit (which took an hour and 29 minutes, by the way).

Tikrit: We got here and were greeted by the current team leader. We went to a DFAC (which was the smallest "DFAC" I've ever seen) and had breakfast… then off to the CHUs to get a little sleep before I started my shift at 1700 with Carol. We took a driving tour of the highlights of the COB (laundry, post office, PX, office, DFAC) and then went into the office and got a tour of that whole building. Needless to say (I think) my brain was entirely overloaded and I couldn't even remember where the bathroom was! Don't worry, I was re-shown the way. Basically, since then there have been a couple more driving tours to try to really figure out where everything is; the divvying out of different roles such as who will be making the bread, who will be throwing the birthday parties, and who will be visiting the CSH; and, of course, casework! The team we replaced is still here. I feel so bad for them because they have now gotten bumped off of a flight that
was already later than they wanted to fly, and there are sandstorms in the forecast so they may not get out for awhile yet.

Jerry started doing CSH visits. He feels pretty comfortable there since he was a combat medic in the Army until he retired last year. The first watching of the bread baking was today so that Mary and I can do it next time, and the first birthday party that Stevie Ray and I are "running" was today and seemed to be a success. Also, there is foot traffic in the office all the time! I'm loving it!

CHU: Compartmentalized Housing Unit
COB: Contingent Operating Base (i.e. we're on COB Speicher aka Tikrit)
CSH: Combat Support Hospital
DFAC: Dining Facility
PX: Post Exchange (where you buy all your stuff)

5 comments:

MJ said...

Hi Honey,
So glad you arrived safe & sound - and over Ireland yet - how great was that?? I'm so glad you are doing this blog, now all I have to do is keep up with you, Lisa & Marcie and remember to pull them up. I have you bookmarked which I hope will make it a little easier. I'm not used to all this computer stuff you know!! I hope you enjoy your stay again this time. Stay safe, happy and actually just the way you are. Love ya Swee' Pea and as always will be glad to see you home again. Love Gram

Anonymous said...

Baking bread... Isn't that what you did in Baghdad in the wee morning hours just before Mr. Hoplight came to work? And what were you wearing? Ha! Do you need an oven to bake bread or can you just set it on the roof to cook? Glad you made it safely sissy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are doing it "again!". I can tell from your writing that although you are tired - you are siked. Have fun and keep blogging. If you need anything just let me know. Wendy

Unknown said...

I suggest next time going by camel...much more reliable....quite possibly quicker in your case....

Britt said...

Gram - Ireland was beautiful (although I pretty much slept the time away)! And you're better at this computer stuff than you think!

Cole - Yes, I was baking bread in Baghdad, too... but this kind you can actually eat! *Ignoring next question (haha)* If you like dust encrusted (haha, get it?) bread, sure, you can cook it on the roof... but I'm not sure I'd recommend that!

Wendy - thanks! I'll let you know if there's anything I or my team need.

Schinkel - two-humper is definitely the mode of transport of choice in theatre... although they do smell... wait, wait! I rode in a hot, cramped C-130 with large, sweaty military guys... What am I saying?